Ebooks - Maugham's Novels
Though this blog is about collecting Maugham's books as physical objects, I also like to have the digitalised version for my eReader, because then I can carry them around and take advantage of technology, not like Maugham who had to suffer the problem of travelling with his enormous book-bag! Besides, it is very convenient when you need to search for something specific.
The followings are the novels that I have found free to download, some of them are out of copyright, a few are uploaded by individuals on their websites. What I provide here are the links to them, readers will have to decide for themselves the legality of downloading them.
Readers also have a choice to borrow some of these books (as indicated) from the Open Library. Registration is free and it is not location-restricted; you can borrow from anywhere.
If you are interested in comments or the first editions of Maugham's work, you will find relevant posts on the right hand column organized by subjects.
Novels by W. Somerset Maugham
Liza of Lambeth (1897)
- Penguin Books, no year - interestingly an information is provided that Liza was first published in 1897 by Heinemann!
- Doran, 1921 - first US edition
The Making of a Saint (1898)
- L.C. Page and Company, 1898 - first edition; no photo of the spine and thus impossible to determine which binding it belongs to
- T. Fisher Unwin, 1898
- The St. Botolph Society, 1922, under the title The Making of a Saint. A Romance of Mediaeval Italy
The Hero (1901)
- Hutchison, 1901 - first edition; a pity the cover is hidden and so it's impossible to see whether Maugham's Moorish symbol is upside down in this copy
- Hutchinson, 1901 - first edition proofread copy
Mrs. Craddock (1902)
- Heinemann, 1904 - first edition from what can be seen; it looks like the variant binding that Stott mentions in his catalogue
- Doubleday, Page & Company, 1904 - a most interesting copy, this is the American copyright issue lodged with the Library of Congress
The Bishop's Apron (1906)
- Chapman and Hall, 1906 - first edition
The Explorer (1907)
- Heinemann, 1907 - most definitely the first edition, first state, but it looks like a rebound copy
- The Baker & Taylor Co., 1909 - second US ed. with illustrations
- Doran, c1909 - I can't say for sure when Doran got the copyright to print this
- Doran, c1909 proofread
The Magician (1908)
- Duffield & Company, 1909 - first US ed.
- Doran, 1921 - for more information about this edition listed as 1908 please see my post on The Magician
- after 1956 - proofread with "Fragment of Autobiography," so has to be posterior to 1956 edition
Of Human Bondage (1915)
- Heinemann, 1915 - first UK edition published one day after the first US ed.
- c1915 - proofread, undetermined edition
- Garden City Publishing Co., c1915 - many copies are quite impossible to determine its year of publication; this is one of them
- The Modern Library, c1915
- The Sun Dial Press, c1915
- Grosset & Dunlap, c1915
- Doran, c 1915
- The Sun Dial Press, c1936 - with foreword
- Pocket Books, 1953 - abridged with intro. by Maugham; Maugham mentioned this in his most interesting interview with Malcolm Muggerich
The Moon and Sixpence (1919)
- Doran, 1919 - first US ed.
- Grosset & Dunlap, c1919
- Garden City Publishing Co., c1919
- The Modern Library, c1919
- proofread copy, no year
The Painted Veil(1924)
- Collected Edition, Heinemann, 1934
- included in The Maugham Reader - can be borrowed from Open Library
Cakes and Ale (1930)
- Pocket Books, 1951 - under the title Cakes and Ale and Other Favorites
- included in Woollcott's Second Reader, 1937
- unknown edition, with Russian translation of keywords
Christmas Holiday (1939)
- Doubleday, Doran & Co., 1939 - likely to be a later printing from first US edition
- included in The Maugham Reader, Doubleday and Co., 1950; can be borrowed from the Open Library
The Hour Before the Dawn (1942)
- Popular Library, 1960 - can be borrowed from the Open Library
The Razor's Edge (1944)
- Triangle Books, 1946 - can be borrowed from the Open Library
- Penguin Books, 1984 - can be borrowed from the Open Library
- Penguin Books, 1992 - can be borrowed from the Open Library
Then and Now (1946)
- Doubleday & Co., c1946 - most likely a later printing, can be borrowed from the Open Library
- Doubleday & Co., 1948 - most likely a later printing though stated First Edition; the true first US ed. was printed by THE COUNTRY LIFE PRESS, GARDEN CITY, N.Y., not THE HADDON CRAFTSMEN, SCRANTON, PA., like this copy