Ebooks - Maugham's Novels
Though this blog is about collecting Maugham's books as physical objects, I also like to have the digitalised version for my eReader, because then I can carry them around and take advantage of technology, not like Maugham who had to suffer the problem of travelling with his enormous book-bag! Besides, it is very convenient when you need to search for something specific.
The followings are the novels that I have found free to download, some of them are out of copyright, a few are uploaded by individuals on their websites. What I provide here are the links to them, readers will have to decide for themselves the legality of downloading them.
Readers also have a choice to borrow some of these books (as indicated) from the Open Library. Registration is free and it is not location-restricted; you can borrow from anywhere.
If you are interested in comments or the first editions of Maugham's work, you will find relevant posts on the right hand column organized by subjects.
Novels by W. Somerset Maugham
- Liza of Lambeth (1897)
- The Making of a Saint (1898)
- The Hero (1901)
- Mrs Craddock (1902) -- I downloaded this book from the Internet Archive. The edition available is the first American edition (Stott A5c) published in 1920 by George H. Doran. It is sort of messy, and I proofread and polished it up into an epub file. I also have it in pdf, for those who are interested, let me know and I can upload it too.
- The Merry-Go-Round (1904)
- The Explorer (1908)
- The Magician (1908)
- Of Human Bondage (1915)
- The Moon and Sixpence (1919)
- The Painted Veil (1924), or it can be borrowed from Open Library, as included in The Maugham Reader
- Cakes and Ale (1930)
- Christmas Holiday (1939) - this is included in The Maugham Reader, which can be borrowed from the Open Library; or it can be borrowed by itself
- Up At the Villa (1940)
- The Hour Before the Dawn (1942) -- this can be borrowed from the Open Library
- The Razor's Edge (1944)
- Then and Now (1946) - from Open Library
- Catalina (1948)